top of page
Western Australia


A permit is required for travel along these roads:


1. between Yeo and Yamarna on the Anne Beadell Highway


Permits are issued by the WA Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.


Information can be found here.


Click here to apply for a permit

For travel along the Great Central Road from Laverton to the Northern Territory border and travel along the Connie Sue Highway from Neale Junction to Warburton, click here to apply for a permit.


No permits are required for travel along these roads:


1. from Yeo to the South Australian border on Anne Beadell Highway

2. travel south from Neale Junction along the Connie Sue Highway


No permits are issued for travel on the Business Road north and south of Ilkurlka






Call (08) 90371147

Paupiyala Tjarutja Aboriginal Corporation
Welcome to Ilkurlka Visitor Centre!



Welcome to Ilkurlka!

Urgent travel update 20 April 2024 

There was very high rainfall between Ilkurlka and Laverton in the first half of March.

The latest advice is that the Anne Beadell and Connie Sue Highways west of Ilkurlka will remain closed until at least the end of May. The estimated regional damage is between $20 to $100 million within Laverton shire, only about 30% of roads in the area have been assessed so far as there is a lot of water still around. A possible timeframe is late May for the reopening of the Great Central Road and it is very unlikely that the Anne Beadell will open before that. 

We do not know if the track through Serpentine Lakes on the Anne Beadell Highway on the SA/WA border is passable.

Please check Laverton and Kalgoorlie-Boulder shire road reports for road closures. These closures are for public safety!

Laverton road reports can be found at

We are located approximately 770km west of Coober Pedy and 550km east of Laverton on the Anne Beadell Highway.

As well as offering roadhouse facilities (diesel, limited supplies of opal/petrol, basic groceries and a campground) we have an excellent display of artwork created by the Spinifex people.

We look forward to welcoming you!

Please feel free to contact us for travel updates.


If you need opal/petrol, please call in advance to check availability. Diesel is always available. 





Sharing Culture
Anangu Way
bottom of page